Monday, July 12, 2010

Stumble And Fall

It's not the prettiest title, but Razorlight's 2004 single works for me.

A few months ago I stumbled upon (no pun intended) StumbleUpon, which is a really awesome website which allows users to frequently visit and share certain webpages that are of interest to them. After joining, it asks to select all the categories they like and then with just a click of button, it automatically directs users to sites based on the "interests" that they have chosen. So if I selected "gadgets", the system generates recommended sites immediately.

Over time I discovered new websites which I didn't think even existed. It brought me information which I never thought was there all along. I have to admit that clicking that one button is habit-forming. It feels like it caught me in a web of addictive... Well, websites. I'm currently browsing through websites that fall under "activism" since I've always thought I have that inner fire for advocacy in me. Here are some of the pages I was lucky enough to run across:

  1. Christmas Resistance. It's a movement against gift-giving during the holiday season. Find out why!
  2. Ten Things You Need to Know to Live on the Streets. The title of the news article says it all. It may come in handy, who knows.
  3. Three myths about world hunger. Oh please enlighten us.
  4. Replate. Instead of throwing left-over food, place it on top of garbage cans for others who have nothing to eat. Sounds crazy? Read the FAQ to find out more.
  5. 10 Revolutionary Acts of Courage by Ordinary People. The list includes Rosa Parks and burning one's self. Powerful stuff right here.
  6. RateMyCop. I've heard of RateMyProfessors, but this is even better. A certain Maurice Mosley from the Decatur Police Department in Illinois received a comment from one Kim007 that says he is a "Smart, Caring and Super Sexy. Wish I could catch him off duty."

Now I can't decide which one's better- StumbleUpon itself or the long list of entertaining sites I come across. This made me realize how the internet is easily a huge space which loads up new facts and some fiction. Just when I thought I've seen it all.

1 comment:

  1. Shet, I remember spending so much time on Stumble Upon during my internship this past summer. HAHA it was both a boredom killer and a productivity destroyer. :)) :))

    ReplyDelete